11/1/09

No TV November - Day 1 of 30

My children do not watch much television.  When I am home with them the TV is rarely turned on with the exception of the news.  When they do watch TV, it is always PBS and mostly Curious George.  This usually happens after nap time or right before dinner.  I am sometimes guilty of using the TV as a way to get the kids to calm down and I know my husband struggles sometimes when I am away from the house in the evening.  So, we decided that we would go one month without turning the TV on.  Because I do not believe in putting restrictions on children that I cannot handle myself, I will also not be viewing television in November.  Exceptions include Patriots football, Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Because we watch so little TV to begin with, I don't see this as a major change in the household.  In fact, I doubt my kids will even notice.  I am planning to blog about the activities we come up with and do together as a family instead of turning on the TV.  The possibilities are endless! 

1 comment:

  1. That is great! I think you are doing the right thing to make TV special, by allowing the kids to watch Charlie Brown and the Macy's parade, it will really give them something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!