2/13/11

Laconia World Champhionship Sled Dog Derby

As promised, I am still posting my Laconia World Championship Sled Dog Derby photos.  Photography issues aside, I count myself very lucky to live in a community that hosts such an incredible event.  Here are the best of my photos from the two days I attended the event.  The last seven or eight photos are of my lucky kids and their friend who got to participate in the one-dog dash!  Very cool.  My kids' driver and dog are French Canadian and they were very gracious!  If you would like to see some better photos, visit Lakes Region Spirit.  The author of this online magazine is my photography instructor, Kevin Sperl.





I know this guy.  I did a terrible job of talking to people and trying to photograph outside of my comfort zone.  I promise to try again soon!











12 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!!! How cool is that??? I'm so jealous! Glad you guys had such an amazing time. Your pictures are amazing. I love every single one of them and the action you captured in the dogs running is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're being way too hard on yourself about these. Maybe larger they're not as in focus as you'd like, but on here they are incredible. I love the ones you posted and think you did an awesome job. BTW, lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were usingauto-focus: it is tougher on days like yesterday. With flat lighting there is little contrast, and auto focus needs contrast to get it spot on. That is also a function of what you term a "cheaper" lens. As the max aperture is smaller, less light is available to get proper focus. Having said that, the compositions here are every bit as good as mine in terms of angle of view, making the viewer feel right there with the dogs. Remember what I said in class, getting better as a shooter, requires you to accept poorer results in the short term. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job! I really like how the snow just bleeds into a white background and makes the dogs and people pop right out at you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures are fabulous!! We love the races but were unable to make it this year... maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. UM! WOW! You got some GREAT pictures! Just BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pics! Love those puppies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, these a BEAUTIFUL!!! You did such a great job photographing in the snow.

    My favorite is of the Siberian Husky in the red harness:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What were you worried about? You caught some great shots. Cool angles, nice composition and some great depth of field going on. I think you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all great! Some are exceptional! What a wonderful opportunity!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!