9/23/08

The Design

I know you all think I haven't been doing any sewing lately, that I'm all talk and no action. Or perhaps you think it was just a fad? I'm here to tell you that, while my progress may be slow, I am hard at work on a few sewing projects right now. I cannot post some of them because they are gifts for people (or babies of people) who read my blog.

The big project I have been working on for the past few weeks is my very first quilt. I have wanted to make a quilt for years, but have never had the courage to try. I considered buying a quilt kit, but I didn't LOVE all the fabric choices. I am making my very first quilt sans pattern. Crazy, you say? A little, but it will make it all the more special to me. The layout is a basic block design, but I get to choose the fabrics myself. I also wanted to applique and this is the perfect design for that. Cameron has decided on a dinosaur themed birthday party this year, so I am making him a dinosaur quilt.

For the past few weeks I have been free-hand drawing dinosaurs and getting them ready for the applique process. There are twelve dinosaurs in all, one for each 10x10 block. Cameron has been helping me by choosing the dinosaurs from his dino dictionary. Yes, it's his birthday present, but I think he will still be surprised to see the final product. Plus, he's having so much fun helping me, and we are learning some pretty cool dino names in the process. Cameron pronounces them better than me! Can you say, "Parasaurolophus?" No? Cameron can :)

Check out Sew Wonderful for a photo of one of the blocks (not yet appliqued). That's all you'll see until the final product in December! The point of this post, you are wondering? It's always the design that takes the most time!

5 comments:

  1. "Amen" to your quote box....

    Also, remind me to show you the two quilts my aunt made for Cole and Charlotte. They are amazing. She told me once she sells similarly sized ones for over $700!! Maybe this could be the start of a new business for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the same thing! I decided to just wing it because I also wanted to pick my own patterns and designs-- although I'm not as daring to try dinosaurs yet haha. I stuck with stars :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Isn't sewing so much fun Katrina? It's so nice to do something crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dinosaurs Amanda! Great job, I can't wait to see the finished product!

    Cammie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job, Amanda. I was never brave enough to make a quilt without a pattern, but I did do a couple for the kids when they were young. Now Nikki and Kristen have made one too. It's cool that you are having Cameron help you. I'm "sew" happy for you !! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!