11/17/09

No TV November - Catch Up Edition

We have had a very busy few days.  It is day 17 of 30.  On Saturday the kids and I enjoyed a lovely play date with their Aunt Kelly and cousins Cole and Charlotte.  Uncle Brendan was there too, but we pretended he wasn't ;)  The kids had a lot of fun playing together.  When we got in the car to leave the kids asked when we would be going back!  Cameron, especially, loves playing with Cole.  They really enjoy each others company. 

On Sunday Cameron got to go to a pool party.  Yes, that's right!  A pool party in November.  A classmate from school had her birthday party at a resort and the kids got to swim all afternoon.  Oh, and eat cake, of course! 

Monday my kids got their first round of H1N1 vaccine.  I have been going back and forth about giving it to them.  I know a few of my readers are anti-vaccine.  I have given my children all of their vaccinations, but with Olivia I did it on our own schedule.  I was not planning on giving them the H1N1 vaccine when we went to the doctor, but after the nurse practitioner gave me more information about it, I felt it was the best thing to do.  I would much rather the side effects of the vaccine, which are minimal, than the chance of them getting the virus.


My kids are definitely benefiting from not being exposed to television for more than two weeks now.  I am witnessing and participating in a lot more imaginative play.  During dinner preparation, if they don't feel like helping, they find a quiet activity that they can do in the kitchen.  They like to be near me, but they are usually content to work on their own.  There is definitely a better rhythm to our day.  It was great before, but it's stupendous now. 

We also started putting the kids to bed in their own room.  We took apart Cameron's bunk beds and pushed them together.  The two of them go to bed at the same time and fall asleep on their own, only now it is not in our bed!  There is a little bit of a struggle, but no tears.  Mostly just manipulation, but they will get the hint in a few more days.  When they awaken in the night, if it is before 4:30 a.m. we put them back in their bed.  Last night was the first night.  It was difficult, but I know it will pay off in the end. 

Anyway, there is my very boring update.  I guess that's a good thing.  It means we are doing well.  I'll take boring over the alternative any day of the week!

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the great work Amanda! Just think, a week or two of frustration with bedtime, the pay off will be many years of kids who go to bed on their own!

    You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the affects of the flu are worse than the potential (and very slim) risks of the side affects of the shot itself. But I work in the biotech industry and know the ins and outs of vaccines and regulatory compliance so because of this I am just more comfortable with vaccines in general.

    And the whole bed thing...I hear you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!