9/11/08

Whole Wheat Honey Flaxseed Bread

Jen, over at Life on the Bean, inspired me to get out my bread machine yesterday. It is something I have been meaning to do for quite sometime. Damien and I realized recently that we go through about 2 loaves of bread a week (usually running out by Friday with no bread on the weekends). At an average of $3.49 per loaf (for whole grain, sometimes organic), we knew that making bread would be a huge cost savings. The other bonus is that even organic bread you buy in grocery stores have preservatives. So we are guaranteed to be serving our children bread without chemicals in it.

Ingredients:

1 1/8 c. water 1/2 c. flax seed
1 1/2 tbsp. flaxseed oil 2 tbsp. bread flour
3 tbsp. honey 3 tbsp. whey powder
1/2 tbsp. liquid lecithin 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
3 c. whole wheat flour 2 tsp. active dry yeast

Directions:
1. Put all the ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Mine is liquids first (can't believe I could find the instruction manual!)

2. Select Wheat Cycle, and Start. (My machine has other options. I chose 1.5 lb loaf and light color)

The bread was delicious. A blind guess at the cost is about $0.50 per loaf (including ingredients and electricity).

And of course, here is a photo!


8 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks so delicious! We have yet to get our machine going. I'll break it in this weekend. I am so curious about the cracker company and all your bread-making. Whey powder, lechitin? Too many questions. We should have a baking date some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lecithin helps the bread bind together and stay moist. I would only add it to the wheat breads. Whey powder adds a little protein to the bread. It's all natural and organic, but I have been reading that some people don't like adding it to their bread.

    A baking date sounds fun! Kim?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bread looks yummy! I think I need to get a bread machine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy, great job Amanda! I have a non bread machine recipe if you are interested in trying different types. It's also a whole wheat honey flax loaf. I make two loaves a week, and we love it!

    Cammie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum...I can attest that it smelled delicious...I'm going to give it a try when my CSA ends...Good work and keep the recipes coming.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah...how about a baking date and a quilting bee?
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a quilt I need to finish, so that sounds wonderful! When, when??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm....when can we get together when the children can be occupied by daddies? I am game any friday afternoon-evening..let's seriously plan something girls!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!