11/6/08

Mama to Mama



Soule Mama has (once again) inspired me. As you can see to the right, I have added a link to The Caps to Cap-Hatien Project from her new Mama to Mama website. Please take some time to read about her project, but here is a brief description:

Konbit Sante is working to assemble Safe Birthing Kits to be distributed by traditional birth attendants in the desperately poor Fort St. Michel area of Cap-Haitien. These kits - consisting of plastic sheeting, hand sanitizer, a sterile piece of string and razor blade, and these newborn baby caps - have the potential to reduce infant and maternal mortality, and give babies a safer, healthier start.

I am in the process of making Cameron a memory quilt from the fronts of his t-shirts, but wondered what I could do with the rest of the fabric. Now I know! I plan to make as many of these hats as I can before December 10th (add it to my list, but it's worth it). I also plan to act locally and find out where I can donate some of these caps in my own community. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I bet the women's guild at LRGH would hand them out to the newborns. That's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda

    Please check out the Warm Up America website at http://www.warmupamerica.org/how.html

    They have a cap program as well as an aghan program where you just knit or crochet 7 x 9 squares.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I'll check both of those out. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!